Friday, December 24, 2010

there's a porkchop in the dishwater

Yesterday, my goals were to ice the gingerbread men, make mini glazed gingerbread cakes and to begin making the cake I attempted to make last year...

the same cake that the dogs ate...seriously...there was bloodshed over it.
it must have been good...I'll take their word for it.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store...
fed the baby...
started laundry...
washed & put away a load of dishes...
fed the baby...
cleaned out the fridge...
finally had my morning coffee (4pm)...
put dinner out to thaw...
fed the baby...
sorted my recipes for Christmas and Christmas Eve dinners...
<we're making hamburgers...that's right, hamburgers>
I even found my Christmas china!




but as of 6pm, no cookies were iced and no cakes were made.  
not even dinner.
it was because of him:

he required cuddling! 
<...and feeding>


I did unpack a box of citrus fruits though...they're yummy!




Getting back to the cleaning of the fridge story:  this may be gross...ok it is gross.
brace yourself.
I clean out the fridge only about every 3-4 months...that's right...there are many tupperware containers that get early retirement...we can no longer buy nice food storage containers...

there was left over pork tenderloin, left over chicken and dumplings, left over taco salad, left over black beans and rice, left over lima beans... the rest, unidentifiable.

a porkchop ended up in the dishwater...no kidding.  It was ugly.

the good news:  there were no tupperware casualties...but some came close.
Don't worry, I spared you the pictures.



By the end of the night, however, the baby was bathed (by the hubby I am to report), supper made, a decision to wait on the two cakes until next week, a decision to ice the gingerbread men tomorrow and finally one more batch of cookie dough mixed, wrapped and stored in the fridge.
<its a new cookie recipe that had to be adapted due to lack of anise extract and almond extract...not staples in my kitchen...I'll let you know how it turns out>


and there was egg nog...egg nog with Crown...
eh, what can I say...I like Crown.  and the nog.







Our dinner included an impromptu appearance of fettucini alfredo (or linguine alfredo rather...fettucini also not a staple in this lovely abode.)  


















It was my first time with Alfredo
He was alright- but not the type you'd take home to Mom.
I think next time I'll use real Parmesan instead of the green can variety...but as I mentioned before this was a spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment addition to our evening.

...my life is exciting isn't it?






































On that note, that's all and that's it!
Have a lovely Christmas Eve!
I'm off to feed the baby.





a bear...
<or three>



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the yummy fruit loaf! I took some to the hospital to munch on :) My Momma liked it, too! Sorry I couldn't tell you what baby Newbern is...Josh & I made a pact. You will, however, be receiving a text message (real personal, I know!) as soon as the fam knows! And of course a blog post will come soon after! :) :) :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete